Harris Funeral Home traces its roots back to 1909 when Victor Cooper purchased the undertaking business from Jerry Lyons. The first undertaking parlor was located in the old Shelby Theater Building (current site of the funeral home parking lot). In 1912, the business moved across the street to a location just south of Shelby State Bank.
One more move came in 1924 when the business was relocated to its current home, the former Fred Llewelyn residence. There have been two additions and much remodeling since that time.
Victor's son, Burton joined the funeral home in 1931. He worked with his father until Victor's unexpected death in 1940.
William F. Harris came to Shelby from Grand Rapids in 1961 and was a partner with Burton until Burton's retirement in 1963. William F. Harris' son, William P., joined his father in the business in 1983.
In 2021 the business was passed along to Mr. Kirk B. Barz who pledges to continue to provide care to the families in Oceana County.